I wonder if this would be true for Native languages

Cathy Wheaton chimiskwew at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 28 03:18:59 UTC 2012

I had a great discussion this morning with a colleague about how we could bring culture and language as one as part of an educational program component where a cultural skill is passed on (eg fish preparation) which is taught hands on by a fluent speaker who teaches specific Cree words/phrases with the activity of preparing fish. Those same  words then are added to the general langauge of instruction in other program components by staff to keep the langauge and skills relevant. This is a basic upgrading program. This appraoch would be repeated teaching other cultural skills with langauge as part of the program. These students then be able  to teach their children these skills and words/phrases as so on-using the program as one possible entry point for cultural transmission. In today's world-our skills have been pushed aside as these skills were necessary everyday skills so now we have to find space them them somewhere. If we are open to b eing particularly creative in visualizing them being used in new contexts, we can still begin integrating them back into everyday practices so they again become the norm.  People who are able to share their skills feel competent as their cultural skill is recognized while culture is being passed onto others. We have to nuture language where we have the flexibility to do so-make new educational models, adapt to continually changing cultural contexts and build teaching/learning approaches that are resilient for the next generation. Let's do what we can now-today-everyday we lose more and more fluent speakers and cultural skills yet every new action means the increased possibility of innovative appraoches which meet these challenges to cultural erosion. Certainly technology and change has given us digital tools that can make passing language and culture (videos, MP3 language audio, digital games, etc) The momentum created by digital communication has propelled the spread of music, English, western culture and other aspects of culture but it can be harnessed to do the same for the langauges and people's culture we are attempting to keep alive.  I learned how to cut fish for smoking via a video on YouTube produced by our reserve's langauge department. Unfortunately few Elders have the stamina to take me out and teach me when I am not working which is a hectic schedule. But thanks to the video-i was still taught the skill which I then passed hands-on to my niece, daughter and son in law.  This is a great discussion-i am so glad that some got this topic started, great ideas and thoughts I share also!

Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 21:40:47 -0500
From: rzs at WILDBLUE.NET
Subject: Re: [ILAT] I wonder if this would be true for Native languages
To: ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU

Thanks Rolland,

i feel it almost every day too..there is a heavy weight dragging on any attempt to revitalize our language,
 maintain ceremony or even gathering for social dance pot-lucks. One of the curses is "busyiness"

and it has so infected us, that gatherings, for language practice or study or even sacred gatherings
must be "fit into a schedule" . I doubt our ancient ancestors were idle much, but there were some things that

weren't designed to fit in your schedule...you just were to be there.

ske:noh
Richard Zane Smith
(Sohahiyoh)