I wonder if this would be true for Native languages

Richard Zane Smith rzs at WILDBLUE.NET
Thu Mar 29 18:37:02 UTC 2012

Revitalizing Lifeways of sustainability should probably be our focus.
Linguists have to learn that EVERYTHING in a culture is connected together.
Technology is as basic as starting a fire with friction by spinning a
spindle into a dry piece of cedar.
"Primitive" is often a degrading word. How many hundreds of people are
involved in the making of a box of matches and getting that box delivered
to us? This illustrates a weakness within ultra-technology
ONE person uses sustainable technology with two pieces of wood,a spindle
and fireboard
can do the same task that now takes 1000's to deliver our cardboard box of
dry matches.
Matches that are made useless when wet. A simple fireboard thats wet is
revived by sunshine.
Which is the truly superior (and sustainable) technology?

A HIGHtech driven world seems bent on creating *further complexity* to
solve problems.
(thus more fragile and more dependent on experts) tinier and tinier becomes
the computer chip.
 HI-TECH gadgets are cool (just bought a zoomH4n) but their work life and
shelf life is undetermined.
Our Languages have got to get back under our skin, under our fingernails,
in our joints. It needs to
stop being treated as "classroom special"  it needs to become like a
sunrise, a sunset,
or a callous on our hands from turning the spindle, as the rising smoke
makes our eyes tear up.

ske:noh
Richard Zane Smith
Wyandotte, Oklahoma

--
*

"Think not forever of yourselves... nor of your own generation.

Think of continuing generations of our families,

think of our grandchildren and of those yet unborn,

whose faces are coming from beneath the ground."             The Peacemaker,

 richardzanesmith.wordpress.com

**

**

*