women as keepers of the language

Patricia Kwachka pbkwachka at ALASKA.EDU
Tue May 8 20:08:12 UTC 2012

Tammy, an interesting fictional take on the role of women and language
invention, maintenance, and transmission is Suzette Hayden Elgin's *Native
Tongue*.
   Also, Koasati, a Muskogean language, is thought to have gender
differences (see Kimball, Haas) with some controversy regarding which is
more conservative/correct/transmissable.  A background assumption is that
women as mothers support the development of both forms.
  Pat Kwachka