women as keepers of the language

Rolland Nadjiwon mikinakn at SHAW.CA
Tue May 8 20:15:28 UTC 2012

That is not so, the family, the community and each other were the users and
learners of the language. It was not a responsibility of anyone:  it just
was. Of course in. this neoculture age of illusion, anyone can start any
'tradition' anyone wants to and make it traditional because you say so. It
doesn't need to have anything to do with or any connection with the people
or the community. Put it in writing in all of the languages and it will have
much more power of enforcement. I guess that's why 'the women' always tell
the men to 'be quiet' or 'shut up'...so they will not pass on any
language...hmmm...maybe you are onto something here...eh.

wahjeh
rolland nadjiwon
_____________________________________
 "You won't recognize Canada when I get through with it" - P.M. Stephen
Harper

  _____

From: Indigenous Languages and Technology [mailto:ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU]
On Behalf Of Tammy DeCoteau
Sent: May-08-12 3:13 PM
To: ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU
Subject: [ILAT] women as keepers of the language

Does anyone know of any writing that talks about women being the keepers of
the language and it being the mothers and grandmothers that pass language
down?  There is a mother's day event at which they are asking for our
program to have a booth and I would like to create a handout and hope to
quote something.

Tammy DeCoteau
AAIA Native Language Program

No virus found in this message.