women as keepers of the language

Claire Bowern clairebowern at GMAIL.COM
Tue May 8 20:35:34 UTC 2012

That was a totally gratuitous and unnecessarily sexist comment.
In Australia, I've lost count of the number of stories I've heard about
women who've gone to great lengths to pass on their languages, sometimes at
great risk to their personal safety. Haven't heard too many stories about
the blokes taking the same risks. Some of these stories are documented in
the 1997 "Bringing them Home" report; others in the 2003 FEL proceedings
from the conference held in Broome (both should be easy to find). It's also
fairly well documented in a number of remote Aboriginal communities in
Australia that community language programs are overwhelmingly run by older
women (in part because of demographics, more women live longer, in part
because of other factors).
Claire