women as keepers of the language

Dmark916 at AOL.COM Dmark916 at AOL.COM
Tue May 8 20:46:07 UTC 2012

In Belize and Honduras the Garifuna language (originally Arawakan, but
with some West African influences) contains words that differ if spoken by  a
woman or a man. Often these words are entirely distinct, and although
mutually  intelligible, there are gender distinctions that are pervasive. I don't
know  about any syntactical differences, but the vocabulary differences make
this an  extremely interesting language.

Dorothy Martinez-K

In a message dated 5/8/2012 1:36:05 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,