Indigenous languages disappearing as lobbying starts for bilingual programmes (fwd link)

Phillip E Cash Cash cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Tue May 8 22:47:51 UTC 2012

8 May, 2012 4:15PM AEST

Indigenous languages disappearing as lobbying starts for bilingual
programmes

By Sam Davis
AUS

The Chair of an Aboriginal language group in north Queensland says urgent
funding is needed before 80 per cent of indigenous languages spoken in the
region are lost.

The North Queensland Regional Aboriginal Language Corporation [NQRALC]
Chair, Troy Wyles-Whelan addressed the standing committee for Aboriginal
and Torres Strait Islander Affairs [ATSIA] on language via uplink from
Cairns last Thursday.

Mr Wyles-Whelan said the organisation struggled to reach out to remote
communities because of budget limitations.

"We're the peak body within the region and we're the largest language body
within Australia. Most of the other areas only have one or two [languages]
or maybe three at the most," he said. "My issue is about the funding of
these programmes."

Access full article below:
http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2012/05/08/3498263.htm