Do you speak Texan? (fwd link)

Richard Zane Smith rzs at WILDBLUE.NET
Wed May 9 16:20:14 UTC 2012

interesting Phil, especially about the identity and place connection.

I'll say that there is a noticeable twang in some Okies learning their
indigenous languages.
Some can't get beyond it no matter how hard they try.

We had a visiting a Quebec Wendat woman who's involved in wendat language
revitalization.
when she heard the kids (here in NE Okl.) singing in Wyandot she said "they
sound like Americans!"
I said, "thats funny,  when i hear you speaking Wendat ,it sounds like
French!" (we both laughed)

I'm guessing second languages will always be influenced by the speakers
first language.
its why its so important to bring kids up with more than one language EARLY.

its also much harder to reach consensus for those of us rousing dormant
languages.
when there ARE NO ELDERS to pester us by demanding we "say it right"

Richard

--
*

*