Do you speak Texan? (fwd link)

Phillip E Cash Cash cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Wed May 9 04:28:26 UTC 2012

I thought the news article was interesting for a number of reasons.
Probably the most obvious one is how a speech pattern/dialect achieves a
kind of symbolic status when it is associated with things like "identity"
and "belonging."  Similar experiences can be found in endangered language
communities.

Too, I have always been curious if heritage language speakers in Oklahoma
and surrounding southern areas maintain a natural distinction between
speaking a southern American English dialect/accent and their own native
language or if they are somehow mixed with a "twang" (whatever that might
be).  The same interesting questions Richard poses apply here as well.

I know for many indigenous communities, it is quite easy to hear when a
native language speaker speaks with an English accent.  Some older
teachers/elders tend to mercilessly correct their student learners on
this.  But then, is it really an accent in this case or is it just simply
the consequences of acquiring a second language?

Just a few thoughts to add on here.
Phil