music and language

Bruce Mannheim mannheim at UMICH.EDU
Wed Nov 14 23:14:21 UTC 2012

I agree completely.   At U Michigan, we've found that singing is a VERY effective way of teaching southern Quechua, even though there is sometimes an initial reluctance on the part of students to let themselves go and actually treat language learning as fun and not just one more formal intellectual exercise.  But the real plus is that the songs are organized by a Quechua logic and through a Quechua aesthetic, and the students learn that as well without realizing that that is what is happening.

Sumaqllaña,

Bruce

Bruce Mannheim
Professor and Director of Graduate Studies
Department of Anthropology
University of Michigan
1085 South University Av
Ann Arbor MI 48109-1107