music and language

Susan Penfield susan.penfield at GMAIL.COM
Thu Nov 15 01:19:06 UTC 2012

I'm sorry I don't know of any articles, but I have seen this happening in
other communities where I work -- I always wish that language classes could
be built around the songs so that a connection could be made more clearly.
I agree with you totally that further investigation would be of value...

S.

On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 3:10 PM, BSantaMaria <bernisantamaria at gmail.com>wrote:

> Thanks for bringing up this relevant topic--though not in the same vein as
> use of music to regain voice but use of music to learn a language-- I've
> observed here on our rez events at which local traditional Apache dancers
> and singers participate and saw young male singers who do not speak Apache
> but can sing rather fluently in Apache as do a couple of adult ones who can
> sing but not speak it. Does anyone on ILAT know of any articles on this
> type of language phenomenon? Also what would be the proper linguistic
> terminology to describe this type of language situation?
>
> Interesting topic that could be investigated further for possibilities of
> enhancement of language acquisition/revitalization activities and use of
> traditional social or ceremonial native music.
>
> Berni SantaMaria
> Consultant, Apache Language/Culture
> On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 1:06 PM, Ewan Pohe <ewan.pohe at vuw.ac.nz> wrote:
>
>> Thank you for this post Philip.
>>
>> In New Zealand in the Te Ataarangi system which teaches Māori as an L2
>> music is used extensively.  From my experience it is useful on a number of
>> levels.
>>
>> It is not used enough in my view probably as singing is seen to be the
>> preserve of stars.
>>

>> Ewan Pohe
>> Research Fellow
>> Māori Studies, Victoria University Wellington
>> 50 Kelburn Parade, Room 210
>> 027 534 5473
>> H 04 383 5473
>> *Whāia te iti kahurangi, ki te tuohu koe, me he maunga teitei*
>>

>> On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 8:19 AM, Phillip E Cash Cash <
>> cashcash at email.arizona.edu> wrote:
>>
>>>  Greetings ILAT,
>>>
>>>  I recently saw an amazing video showing Gabby Giffords the Arizona
>>> Congresswoman recovering from her brain injury stemming from a bullet that
>>> passed thru the left side of her brain.  The video describes how she
>>> was able to regain her speech thru music thus demonstrating quite
>>> effectively the neurological link between music and language learning.
>>>
>>>  http://youtu.be/ndNn3Ucxt5k
>>>
>>>  I just wanted to post the video simply to spark some conversation on
>>> the topic of music & language.  If it is a new idea or if you simply want
>>> to see music being put into action please take a look at the video.  For
>>> some of you, I'm sure this will be quite familiar.
>>>
>>>  Phil
>>> UofA

*Susan D. Penfield, Ph.D.
*
Research Coordinator,
CERCLL,  Center for Educational Resources in Culture, Language and Literacy
CONFLUENCE, Center for Creative Inquiry
University of Arizona

Websites:
CERCLL: cercll.arizona.edu