University of Utah Shifts Focus to Tribal Languages (fwd link)

Phillip E Cash Cash cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Wed Oct 3 17:26:52 UTC 2012

University of Utah Shifts Focus to Tribal Languages, Some Fear World
Indigenous Languages Will Be Left Behind

By ICTMN Staff October 3, 2012
USA

At the end of August, the University of Utah announced that the Center
for American Indian Languages (CAIL) would be dissolved into the
American West Center (AWC) and that CAIL’s Native American language
training and study programs would be moving to the Language Center in
the College of Humanities.

“This restructuring will allow us to focus more effectively on our
unwavering commitment to the Utah tribes, eliminating duplication
while enhancing our current projects and developing new ones,” said
Robert Newman, Dean of the College of Humanities, in a university
release. “Merging existent programs from within CAIL combined with the
solid leadership we have in the American West and Language Centers is
clearly the most efficient way to accomplish these goals.”

Not everyone sees this as a positive step though, including Jeff
Pynes, a Ph.D. student whose work focuses on the Tolupan of Central
America, and Ives Goddard, a senior linguist with the Smithsonian
Institution.

Access full article below:
http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2012/10/03/university-of-utah-shifts-focus-to-tribal-languages-some-fear-world-indigenous-languages-will-be-left-behind-137290