Nicaragua translates Constitution into indigenous languages (fwd link)

Phillip E Cash Cash cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Wed Oct 17 18:12:21 UTC 2012

*Nicaragua translates Constitution into indigenous languages*
Separatist leaders say ‘thanks, but we already know our rights’

By Tim Rogers/ Nicaragua Dispatch
October 15, 2012

In an effort to better incorporate the indigenous communities of
Nicaragua’s historically marginalized Caribbean coast, the legislative
National Assembly this month printed first-edition translations of
Nicaragua’s Constitution in the languages of Miskito and Sumo-Mayangna.

The translations of the Constitution— known as “Kuntri Wauhkataya” in
Miskito and “Kabamint Mabani Tingnita Ulwi Yakwa” in Mayangna—will provide
indigenous leaders with better access to Nicaraguan law, says congressman
Brooklyn Rivera, president of the National Assembly’s Commission on Ethnic
Affairs, Autonomy and Indigenous Communities.

“Until now, the Constitution has been inaccessible (to many indigenous
communities) because we didn’t know what it said and couldn’t read it in
our own language,” Rivera, a Miskito leader and political ally of the
Sandinista Front, told The Nicaragua Dispatch. “This changes now that we
will have the Constitution in our hands and in our own language to better
understand what it says.”

Access full article below:
http://www.nicaraguadispatch.com/news/2012/10/nicaragua-translates-constitution-into-indigenous-languages/5657