Aboriginal languages preserved by communities and schools: census (fwd link)

Phillip E Cash Cash cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Wed Oct 24 17:00:51 UTC 2012

*Aboriginal languages preserved by communities and schools: census
*
Rebecca Lindell, Global News : Wednesday, October 24, 2012 8:30 AM

OTTAWA – Schools and communities may be the keys to safeguarding the 60
aboriginal languages spoken by Canadians, according to the latest language
data released by Statistics Canada on Wednesday.

Approximately 213,000 people, less than one per cent of the population,
spoke an aboriginal language at home in 2011 – a share largely unchanged
since the 2006 tally.

While the proportion of Canadians with an aboriginal mother tongue held
steady, the number dropped by 3,620 speakers since 2006. Although the
number remains higher than the 196,580 speakers counted in the 2001 census.

The slight decline in aboriginal speakers comes as no surprise to Arok
Wolvengrey, a professor at First Nations University in Regina, Sask.

“I expect most of the languages are in decline and I think the statistics
show that,” Wolvengrey said.

Access full article below:
http://www.globaltvedmonton.com/aboriginal+languages+preserved+by+communities+and+schools+census/6442739722/story.html