Anderson calls for schools to be made equal (fwd link)

Phillip E Cash Cash cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Wed Oct 24 17:03:52 UTC 2012

*Anderson calls for schools to be made equal
*
By Rick Hind
First posted Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:24am AEDT
AUS

Indigenous Advancement Minister Alison Anderson says Aboriginal languages
should not be taught at remote Northern Territory schools.

She says Indigenous schools should have the same learning requirements as
those in capital cities.

Ms Anderson has told told the Northern Territory Legislative Assembly that
Indigenous languages should be taught by parents during holidays and on
weekends.

The call contradicts a commitment by Education Minister Robyn Lambley that
a Country Liberals government would fund bilingual education in remote
schools.

Ms Anderson says Indigenous children should be taught in the same way as
students in Sydney if they are to compete for the same jobs.

"I am not suggesting we abandon our traditional culture or language but
teaching them should not be done in schools, it should be done after school
and on weekends, and during the holidays," she said.

Access full article below:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-10-24/anderson-on-bilingual-school-education-indigenous-schools/4331158?section=nt