“Half of the 6,000 plus sp oken languages today =?windows-1252?Q?_wil_l_disappear_by_the_e_n_d_of_t_he_century.=94_?=(fwd link)

Keola Donaghy donaghy at HAWAII.EDU
Mon Sep 3 19:11:42 UTC 2012

The author of this sent a copy to myself and Keiki Kawai‘ae‘a at UH-Hilo after the article was published. I believe it overstates the interest in the Hawaiian community, though I must admit we did get a lot of inquiries from people who wanted to buy a Rosetta Stone for Hawaiian.

We investigated the possibility of developing RS under their ELP a few years ago, and decided not to for reasons that I expounded upon in an email to the list about that time. There *is* interest in software based learning solutions, but for us, we decided that Rosetta Stone was not it. Obviously I'm not speaking for everyone involved in Hawaiian language revitalization, and perhaps some other group that I'm not aware of has expressed strong interest.

Briefly: 1) RS was not flexible enough for us to teach things in the order and manner that we preferred, 2) development of level 1 was something around $200,000 and that's not chump change for any indigenous group, 3) it would have required a considerable investment in time from many of our most knowledgeable and talented people, diverting them from projects we felt were higher priorities, and 4) we were not convinced that RS was producing a significant number of people with a high degree of fluency/facility in *any* language, much less an endangered one. That's how we measured our success, at least at UHH.

BTW, I don't think I communicated this to the list previously, but I am no longer at UH-Hilo. I was hired as a faculty member in the music department at UH-Maui College over the summer. While I have not lost my passion for ‘ōlelo Hawai‘i, I am focusing in more on Hawaiian music with an emphasis on language use, and deemphasizing my participation in various technology initiatives. I have remained subscribed to the list, will continue to follow developments, and chirp in when necessary.

Mahalo,

Keola

Dr. Keola Donaghy                     http://www.keoladonaghy.com/
Music Department                      mailto:donaghy at hawaii.edu
University of Hawai'i Maui College    http://maui.hawaii.edu/ihm

"Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam."  (Irish Gaelic saying)
A country without its language is a country without its soul.