Volunteers and Interns needed for Seminole Oral History Project

Elizabeth Lowman ElizabethLowman at SEMTRIBE.COM
Fri Sep 28 15:25:36 UTC 2012

Good afternoon!

I am in a BIG search for a couple of good interns or volunteers in South Florida.  I currently manage two divisions at the Museum, Education and Oral History.  We are re-signing a 3 year contract with Randforce and Associates for the digital indexing of the Oral History Collection.  Over the last three years we indexed all of the audio interviews and had all of the video digitized with MediaPreserve.  (Both companies are phenomenal, by the way)

Over the next three years, we will be adding the videos to the index.  While Randforce will be taking care of most of the digital indexing and database management for the project, I need help adding the remaining audio to the index, conducting oral history interviews, accessioning and cataloguing the backlogged interviews, writing abstracts for the interviews, adding the interviewees to our "people biographies" database in PastPerfect, and potentially assisting with education-related projects.

The internship would be unpaid and it is possible that some of it can be done remotely.  Because of the culturally sensitive and proprietary nature of the work, I am only interested in having the best and the brightest students/volunteers work on this project.  The Seminole Tribe's Oral History Program is utilizing some of the best technology available in the field and is on the cutting edge of field.  We are a Smithsonian Affiliate and AAM Accredited Museum as well.  This would be a great opportunity for a student or recent graduate to break into the field.

As an aside, it is imperative for the students to understand that they CANNOT use any of the content in publications due to serious restrictions on the interviews put into place by the interviewees themselves or the Tribal Council.  We utilize full informed consent and deeds of gift for the collection of our interviews and always observe the restrictions set forth by participants in the program.  Interns may be required to sign a proprietary agreement with the Tribe.  They may, however, share process and experience with others, which I have found is perfectly fine in the field.

Please let me know if you have any stellar undergraduate students, graduate students, or recent graduates interested in this opportunity.  We will be observing Native preference in picking interns/volunteers.  They must be willing to commit to a certain amount of time as well.  I can be contacted directly at elizabethlowman at semtribe.com<mailto:elizabethlowman at semtribe.com>.

Thank you so much in advance!

Elizabeth Lowman
Education and Oral History Coordinator, Ah-Tah-Thi-Ki Museum
Seminole Tribe of Florida
elizabethlowman at semtribe.com<mailto:elizabethlowman at semtribe.com>
(863)902-1113 ext. 12210
Visit our website at: http://www.ahtahthiki.com/
Become a member at: museummembership at semtribe.com<mailto:mailtomailtomuseummembership at semtribe.com?subject=Museum%20Membership>
"...And once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been, and there you long to return..." - Leonardo da Vinci"
Blue Skies!!!