Editor's Notebook: Chinook=?UTF-8?Q?=E2=80=99s_?=practical language reflected their trading history (fwd link)

Phil Cash Cash weyiiletpu at gmail.com
Fri Aug 9 17:17:16 UTC 2013

Editor's Notebook: Chinook’s practical language reflected their trading
history

It’s tempting to believe that if everyone who lives here woke up one soggy
morning speaking Chinook, our whole world would change forever.

There’s nothing original in the observation that what we speak imprints
itself on the reality we perceive. Chinook was born of this place that
positively churns with its own character. Even if English is increasingly
the common language that binds interactions around the globe, Chinook may
always be the best way to understand this utterly unique kingdom of water
and mystery.

Access full article below:
http://www.dailyastorian.com/opinion/columns/editor-s-notebook-chinook-s-practical-language-reflected-their-trading/article_b6b092e2-0061-11e3-87f7-001a4bcf887a.html