Understanding How Migration Patterns Shaped Native Ethnicity, Language (fwd link)

Phil Cash Cash weyiiletpu at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 21:04:53 UTC 2013

*Understanding How Migration Patterns Shaped Native Ethnicity, Language*
August 20, 2013

During the past 12,000 years, the rich diversity of Native
American<http://www.redorbit.com/topics/native-american/> ethnic
and language groups of California took shape as migrating tribes. They
settled first on the lush Pacific coast and then in progressively drier,
less-vegetated habitats, according to a new study led by the University of
Utah and published online in the*Proceedings of the National Academy of
Sciences (PNAS<http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2013/08/13/1302008110.abstract?sid=ebe20e72-a555-402b-a4c6-7444c4e82b22>
)*.

“Trying to explain why linguistic diversity is high in some places and low
in others has been a big issue in anthropology,” says Brian
Codding<https://faculty.utah.edu/u0850178-Brian_F_Codding/contact/index.hml>,
an assistant professor of anthropology.

“For a number of years, people have shown a correlation between ecological
diversity and linguistic diversity,” he adds. “What we did in this study
that was different was to look at it over time – to actually see the
process through which different populations came to live side-by-side as
neighbors or replaced one population with another. We’re showing how the
diversity actually developed over time.”

Access full article below:

http://www.redorbit.com/news/science/1112927109/native-american-migration-shape-ethnicity-language-082013/