Understanding How Migration Patterns Shaped Native Ethnicity, Language (fwd link)

Zoe Tribur ztribur at uoregon.edu
Thu Aug 22 02:01:23 UTC 2013

Interesting, but one question that I have is why you don't see
large-scale language shift. Instead, you have "areal patterns" from
long-term multilingualism. It's not just that there are lots of
languages, it's the fact that there are so any language families that
makes the Pacific Coast so interesting. Western China, for example, has
lots of languages but far fewer language families. This kind of
situation suggests that language shifts took place in the distant past,
although another explanation is that these places were uninhabited when
the first speakers of Tibeto-Burman or whatever showed up, and then they
spread, but in some of these areas, the first explanation is more
likely. So what was different about the Pacific Coast that people living
there didn't switch languages? I'm guessing that the ecological
conditions in which they lived might have something to do with it,
allowing many groups to live side-by-side, but that can't be the whole
story.