Understanding How Migration Patterns Shaped Native Ethnicity, Language (fwd link)

Luke Kundl Pinette lkpinette at gmail.com
Thu Aug 22 03:58:51 UTC 2013

At a guess, it has to do with the fact that the Han Chinese were
farmers, with a stable state society. Complex societies have many
benefits compared with the hunter-gather lifestyle, but preservation of
languages isn't one of them.

I can think of two books that deal with this issue: Nick Ostler's
/Empires of Words/ talks about China in particular, and Jared Diamond's
recent /The World Until Yesterday/ talks about the phenomenon in
general.  I don't have those books on hand, but I imagine the citations
(or "further reading" in Diamond's case) might have more on the topic.

The historical replacement of the Yue languages with the Han is fairly
well-documented; and it seems to be widely accepted that the spread of
Indo-European languages was linked to the spread of agriculture and/or
domestic horses (I've never even seen an alternative theory).  It's not
a stretch to suggest that the spread of agriculture is also responsible
for the prehistoric dominance of Sinitic languages in the North China Plain.

As for the rule of ecology, it's been suggested many times that
intensive cultivation initially developed in more marginal
environments.  Later, the agriculturalists often have the numbers to
take over the more productive environments for farming.  Though it's
interesting that the article claimed the Central Valley is less
productive than the coast.  Apart from Napa Valley, originally inhabited
by the Wappo, none of the the first-settled areas are ones that I think
of as major agricultural areas, though some of them are home to major
fisheries.

Regards,
Luke