What do Sherlock Holmes and endangered languages have in common?

Phillip E Cash Cash cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Wed Jan 2 21:02:26 UTC 2013

Greetings in the new year!

Good question, yes?  I thought so too.  Anyway, I came across this article
today with the following quote (emphasis added).  Awesome.  Maybe a Choctaw
language advocate here can verify the existence of a Sherlock Holmes
translation.  A Sherlock Holmes fan, Phil

Quote:

"Hobbs said Doyle's books and stories have been translated into 98
languages. His collection includes 92 of them.

He's still missing translations in Kazakh, Telugu, Sindhi, Tatar, Fijian
and Kyrgyz.

When Hobbs' worldwide web of book dealers and contacts recently located
several stories translated into Uighur, Hobbs was thrilled.

He also has a copy of *a story translated into Choctaw* by a friend.

“The first Native American language of Sherlock Holmes,” he said proudly.
“He (the friend) sent me the file and I self-published it.”"

*Language is no barrier to Sherlock Holmes collector*

WRITTEN BY DIANE JENNINGS, THE DALLAS MORNING NEWS
WEDNESDAY, 02 JANUARY 2013 10:39

Read more:
http://acn.liveauctioneers.com/index.php/features/collectiblesandpopculture/8907-language-is-no-barrier-to-sherlock-holmes-book-collector-#ixzz2Gr0sOdhK