If the will is there, Indigenous languages can still flourish (fwd link)

Phil Cash Cash weyiiletpu at gmail.com
Fri Oct 4 18:15:59 UTC 2013

If the will is there, Indigenous languages can still flourish
BY
ÂPIHTAWIKOSISÂN <http://rabble.ca/taxonomy/term/19012>
 | OCTOBER 3, 2013

"Years ago while visiting his grandma Lucinda Robbins in Tahlequah,
Oklahoma, CEO Don Thornton purchased a Cherokee-English Dictionary written
by a professor from the local University.

When he showed the dictionary to his grandma, she commented in a frail but
angry voice: “That man used to come to my house for three years asking how
to say words in Cherokee.  Pretty soon it would be lists of phrases.  I
fixed his lists for three years and all I wanted was a copy of the finished
work but never received one.”

Don flipped through the pages of the entire dictionary looking for her name
but Lucinda Robbin’s name was nowhere to be found.  *She was not credited
for her work, not only that, she was never paid and did not even receive a
copy of the work*."

Access full article below:
http://rabble.ca/blogs/bloggers/apihtawikosisan/2013/10/if-will-there-indigenous-languages-can-still-flourish