Bill Could Preserve Native Language (fwd link)

Phillip E Cash Cash cashcash at email.arizona.edu
Thu Apr 3 16:48:36 UTC 2014

*Bill Could Preserve Native Language*

Updated: Mar 27, 2014 1:24 PM MST
By Krista Harju - email

Many native American languages have been lost through forced assimilation.
But a new language preservation effort before congress aims to ensure
they're never forgotten.

The Lakota language is sacred to the people of the Standing Rock Sioux
Reservation. But, few tribal members are fluent in their native tongue. A
bill before congress could help schools preserve their language.

Students at the Lakota Language Nest speak a language that many have
forgotten.

"We're committed to staying in Lakota. So, what that means is the
curriculum, everything that we do is in Lakota language," says teacher
Tipiziwin Young.

Access full article below:

http://www.kqcd.com/story/25090642/standing-rock-preserves-tribal-language