endangered cultural practicies > endangered terminology

Eduardo Ribeiro kariri at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 14:23:09 UTC 2014

Dear colleagues,

I am looking for bibliographic references on how the abandonment of
certain cultural practices may lead to the disappearance of the
related terminology/jargon, including both material (ceramics, wood
working, weaving, etc.) and non-material culture (e.g. chants,
prayers, and healing spells, which tend to disappear once the
traditional religious practices are no longer observed).

Although I would expect there to be many works dealing with this
aspect of language endangerment, a web search for terms such as
"endangered vocabulary", etc. didn't turn out much.
Therefore, I would appreciate it if you could point me to any
bibliographic items, particularly case studies, dealing with this
topic.

Thanks in advance,

Eduardo

--