colors, numbers, and animals

Elizabeth J. Pyatt ejp10 at psu.edu
Thu Aug 7 16:02:02 UTC 2014

I would say the consensus is that the more you can introduce "authentic usage" into the classroom, the better.  However, if the teachers aren't comfortable holding conversations themselves, they may need an experience themselves so they feel comfortable speaking.

Maybe these resources focusing on LCTL (less commonly taught languages) might help.

http://www.carla.umn.edu/lctl/index.html
https://www.fivecolleges.edu/fclang

I do know that many indigenous  language groups are using Twitter, Wikipedia (http://chy.wikipedia.org/wiki/Va%27ohtama)  and other social media. Can students think about posting simple comments in Twitter or Twitter-like language? Maybe more advanced students could write articles for Wikipedia? It could also provide interesting reading material for the classroom and even a discussion of  writing/grammar issues.

I've learned a few LCTLs and have the following observations:

* I do find an immersive experience (8 hour/day, frequent conversational/reading practice) very helpful
* I've been in a few Irish courses which assumed Irish was only used by elderly fisher folk. That's not true but the impression is not inspiring to teens IMO.
* My favorite textbook was for a Sinhala (Sri Lanka) course. It's first lesson was how to get a bus ticket in Sri Lanka.

Hope some of this helps.

Elizabeth

P.S. An interesting Welsh speaking tip - If you can't remember the Welsh word, just use English with a Welsh accent. It would be nice to use all-Welsh vocabulary, but the reality is that they do live in a bilingual environment.

> On Aug 7, 2014, at 10:01 AM, Wayne Leman <wleman1949b at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> A number of methods are used for teaching indigenous languages. One that seems commonly used for teaching Native American languages in the U.S. is a focus on memorization of colors, numbers, and names of animals.
>
> Does anyone know where this approach to language teaching originated? Might it reflect how the teachers themselves were taught English in boarding or reservation schools? Might it reflect perceived requirements on the part of school, state, or federal administrators?
>
> Do any of you know of any programs where there has been a shift from memorization of word lists toward creating conversational fluency in the indigenous language?
>

> Wayne
> -----
> http://www.cheyennelanguage.org/

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=