School revives lost local indigenous language (fwd link)

Phil Cash Cash weyiiletpu at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 18:20:33 UTC 2014

School revives lost local indigenous language

By PEPPE CAVALIERI

June 26, 2014, 4 a.m. AUS

AT 60,000 years old it is one of the world’s oldest languages and has
almost been forgotten.

But now a Warrnambool school is doing what it can to revive a local
indigenous dialect while teaching students the richness of Aboriginal
heritage and culture.

Warrnambool College believes languages spoken by the first Australians have
been overlooked for too long in favour of those of European and Asian
countries.

Aboriginal language is yet to be formally introduced into Australian
schools, but the college is close to including it in its LOTE — Languages
Other Than English — program.

“We’d love to introduce Aboriginal language into our LOTE offerings into
2015,” vice-principal Andrew Matheson said.

Access full article below:
http://www.standard.net.au/story/2376751/school-revives-lost-local-indigenous-language/