Indigenous Knowledge Leads a Worldwide Voyage (fwd link)

Phil Cash Cash weyiiletpu at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 00:30:12 UTC 2014

*Indigenous Knowledge Leads a Worldwide Voyage*

In the span of history, in the rise and fall of great kingdoms, in the
measurement of evolution, the last two millennia is but a blink in the
culmination of years, yet much of what we know, how we teach, what we
legislate and how we operate today as humans is primarily influenced by the
setbacks and advances in the last two thousand years.

Certainly the last 21 centuries of knowledge, knowhow and life continue to
influence much of what is done today. To Western practices and beliefs, the
concept of indigenous knowledge -- the collection and utilization of
traditional practices and knowledge acquired through oral history, stories,
chants and dances -- may still be a difficult source to rely on as
qualitative and quantitative research or application. In the Pacific,
however, indigenous knowledge influences many sectors of life for much of
Polynesia, Micronesia and Melanesia and is often a source or an agent of
pride.

In Hawaiʻi, the northernmost point of Polynesia, indigenous knowledge has
been the impetus of a renaissance of various forms over the last five
decades for native Hawaiians. Reconnecting ourselves to our mother tongue,
our chants and song, a conscientiousness of our socioeconomic and political
standings have provided a cumulative movement of the strengthening of our
indigeneity.

Access full article below:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/adrian-kamalii/indigenous-knowledge-lead_b_5407963.html