=?UTF-8?Q?=E2=80=98Our_language_is_our_soul=E2=80=99=3A_?=saving Aymara (fwd link)

Hardman,Martha J hardman at ufl.edu
Thu Jun 19 22:59:47 UTC 2014

I am fully a ware of all that you say; including that this
particular Jaqi Aru group be based in El Alto, Bolivia. It is good to
stand on shoulders rather than reinvent the circle. MJ

On Thu, 19 Jun
2014 17:53:41 -0400, eddie avila wrote:

> I think the article meant to
say that Aymara did not have an active presence in digital participatory
media (i.e. blogs, user-created videos, Wikipedia, Twitter, social
media, etc.) until recently. The group referenced Jaqi Aru is based in
El Alto, Bolivia.

wrote:

>> This is good news. However, Aymara has had an Internet
presence for at least a decade and there are several sites dedicated to
Aymara, the Aymara course http://aymara.ufl.edu [2] also used by the
Bolivian government, and the ILCA site http://ilcanet.org/ [3] are two
that have been around for a long time. ILCA was teaching Aymara in the
classrooms a 2~3 decades ago; unfortunately, at that time there was no
governmental follow-through. Then, when it finally came, they accepted
bad advice, which made it unpopular. The implementation of our program
was a step in the right direction. I am glad to see that things are
better now.

>> A note: there is an Aymara site in Chile which also
carries the name Jaqi Aru https://www.facebook.com/jaqiaru?fref=ts [4] .
Not a surprise, given that in Puno as well some people call the language
Jaqi Aru. MJ

wrote:

>>> 'Our language is our soul': saving Aymara
>>>
>>> By
Alexia Kalaitzi
>>> Published on June 17, 2014
>>>
>>> 'Could you
imagine yourself speaking a language, your mother tongue, at home and
then going to school and learning a foreign language? It is a big
shock,' says Ruben Hilare, an activist from the Bolivian indigenous
community of Aymara, trying to describe the reality of many children in
the community.

>>> Aymara is a language as well as a people: it is
a native American language spoken by over a million people in Bolivia
and several large communities in Peru, Chile and Argentina. Although it
is an official language in Bolivia, it is underrepresented in the public
sphere, where Spanish dominates. The only media sources exclusively in
Aymara are a handful of television shows and radio programmes, while the
language is taught at school for only an hour a week.

>>> Until
recently, Aymara did not have an online presence, either. But this is
changing. Ruben Hilare and other community members are making an effort
to save their language and promote it on the internet, establishing a
virtual community called Jaqi Aru.

>>> ​Access full article
below:

http://newint.org/blog/2014/06/17/endangered-languages-aymara/ [1]