UM sophomore to create Native languages society (fwd link)

Phil Cash Cash weyiiletpu at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 16:21:39 UTC 2014

UM sophomore to create Native languages society

2014.*

Eric Barker for the Montana Kaimin

Despite the loss of the University's Blackfoot language classes, students
may still have a chance to learn Native languages.

A proposed Native languages student club is working on getting recognition
as a student group from the Associated Students of the University of
Montana. The group has 18 Native and non-Native students tentatively signed
on.

Jesse Desrosier, a sophomore from the Blackfeet tribe, said he always
wanted to organize a Native languages club. When the University had to
cancel Elementary Blackfoot 141 and 142 this fall because of the
instructor's resignation, Desrosier decided there was no better time.

Desrosier said it's important to promote Native languages to understand the
basis of the culture.

“Understanding my Native language gave me an identity,” he said.

Access full article below:

http://www.montanakaimin.com/news/article_db21e472-4e63-11e4-8de9-001a4bcf6878.html