audio / clock drift

Lindsay Marean lmarean at bensay.org
Fri Sep 19 23:17:59 UTC 2014

Thank you, Doug!

This didn't exactly work, but your overall approach gave the the
solution I've been looking for.

First, to clarify, all our recordings are digital; even digital devices
often run at slightly different speeds, according to the Internet.

I also had to reverse the ratio (video/audio) and changed the audio
speed rather than the video speed, because I want the resulting audio
track to be in sync with the actual video in ELAN.

One minor complication is that my audio and video files aren't exactly
the same length; of course I can trim the beginning or end off of either
file, but for the total duration ratio to work I will need to trim very
precisely.

The reason it didn't work to use Praat is that I couldn't find any
Convert menu.  I'm using Praat version 5.3.85.  I found Convert here and
there a few places, but nowhere with a "Lenthen..." option.

However, the basic idea of figuring out the ratio of length between the
two files did work.  Here's what I ended up doing (in case anyone else
also struggles with this):

1)  Open both files in Audacity (the original audio file and the audio
file extracted from video).
2)  Find a salient sound event as close to the beginning of both
recordings as possible, and a salient sound event as near the end of
both.  I'm trying to get into the habit of clapping my hands at the
beginning and at the end of a session.
3)  Carefully measure the distance between the salient sounds on both
recordings.
4)  Determine the ratio of audio / video.  Convert to a percent by
shifting the decimal 2 places to the left.
5)  Under the Effects menu in Audacity, change tempo for the audio track
by the indicated percent.  If the original audio file is longer, it
needs to be a negative percent.
6)  Voila!  Both files should be at the same speed now.  Now just align
them, and I'm good to go!

Thanks, and I hope this helps someone else.

Lindsay