Saving Native Languages and Culture in Mexico With Computer Games (fwd link)

Phil Cash Cash weyiiletpu at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 20:06:15 UTC 2014

*Saving Native Languages and Culture in Mexico With Computer Games*

Rick Kearns
9/21/14

Indigenous children in Mexico can now learn their mother tongues with
specialized computer games, helping to prevent the further loss of those
languages across the country.

“Three years ago, before we employed these materials, we were on the verge
of seeing our children lose our Native languages,” asserted Matilde
Hernandez, a teacher in Zitacuaro, Michoacan.

“Now they are speaking and singing in Mazahua as if that had never
happened,” Hernandez said, referring to computer software that provides
games and lessons in most of the linguistic families of the country
including Mazahua, Chinanteco, Nahuatl of Puebla, Tzeltal, Mixteco,
Zapateco, Chatino and others.

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2014/09/21/saving-native-languages-and-culture-mexico-computer-games-156961