Survey of Native American / First Nations language use on Facebook

Julia Sallabank js72 at soas.ac.uk
Tue Sep 23 15:25:11 UTC 2014

One of my students told me there is a way to post audioclips on Facebook
using a website called 'Vocaroo' (which I had never heard of before):
http://vocaroo.com/
Recordings are made there and then the link is posted on the Facebook page.
The student commented: "While I think this is a good strategy adopted by
the learners, it also is slightly problematic because I'm not sure exactly
what happens to recordings made on Vocaroo in the long-term. It seems
prudent to me to try and keep learners' production somewhere a bit safer as
well, especially since these recordings might conceivably constitute
valuable data for studies of language change."

--
Dr. Julia Sallabank
Senior Lecturer in Language Support and Revitalisation, Endangered

Tel. +44 (0)20 7898 4326
E-mail  js72 at soas.ac.uk

*Click here to listen to my interview on 'New Books in Language*':
http://newbooksinlanguage.com/2014/08/10/julia-sallabank-attitudes-to-endangered-languages-identities-and-policies-cambridge-up-2013/