andera 'woman' Celtic ?

Brian M. Scott BMScott at stratos.net
Wed Apr 7 06:04:10 UTC 1999

Steven A. Gustafson wrote:

> I'm reasonably certain that in Bede's Latin (or is it Thomas of
> Malmesbury?) ANDERIDA is the name of a forest in England, if this sheds
> any light on the prevalence or meaning of this allegedly Celtic root.  I
> think it's still called the Forest of Andred.

Eilert Ekwall (Concise Oxford Dictionary of English Place-names) s.n.
Andred cites <Anderitos> or <Anderidos> c.425 from the Notitia
Dignitatum, <Andred> from the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle.  He derives it from
a Brit. prefix <ande-> and Brit. <ritu-> (Welsh <rhyd>) 'ford' and says
that K.L. Jackson renders it 'the great fords'.

Brian M. Scott