andera 'woman' Celtic ?

Glen Gordon glengordon01 at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 9 02:12:21 UTC 1999

ROSLYN FRANK:
  Does this last comment mean that you believe the best simulation
  would be one that doesn't link the Euskera items <andere> and
  <andre-> in anyway whatsoever with the IE items? Including the Gk.
  ones?

LARRY TRASK:
  Yes.  I can't see any persuasive reason to connect Basque <andere>
  `lady' with anything in Greek.
  By the way, it is clear that <andere> is the original form of the
  Basque word. [...] The contracted form <andre> is first recorded in
  the 12th century; this would have been unpronounceable in
  Pre-Basque/Aquitanian, [...]

Hmm, after all this talk, I can't help but be enchanted by the
similitude of Greek forms and Basque. Question: why does it matter
whether the original form is <andere> or <andre> to the connection
with Greek? Afterall, if a form like **andre would have been
unpronouncable in Pre-Basque, Pre-Basque would no doubt have inserted
a vowel and thus our Pre-Basque *andere, no? But then, are there any
other items in Basque that're being debated as having a Hellenic
origin beside *andere?

And second, excuse me if I missed something (which is possible because
I haven't been fully paying attention till now) but, has a Greek form
like *andre: (feminine of <ane:r>) been considered in the discussion?

[ Moderator's response:
  The feminine of _ane:r_ is _gune:_.
  There is a feminine derivative _andria_ "manhood", which if it goes back to
  PIE derives from *H_2nriH_2.
  --rma ]

Glen Gordon
glengordon01 at hotmail.com