andera 'woman' Celtic ?

X99Lynx at aol.com X99Lynx at aol.com
Sat Apr 10 06:01:10 UTC 1999

In a message dated 4/10/99 12:23:37 AM, glengordon01 at hotmail.com wrote:

<<I haven't been fully paying attention till now) but, has a Greek form
like *andre: (feminine of <ane:r>) been considered in the discussion?

[ Moderator's response:
  The feminine of _ane:r_ is _gune:_.
  There is a feminine derivative _andria_ "manhood", which if it goes back to
  PIE derives from *H_2nriH_2.
  --rma ]>>

There is also the Greek term "ananderia" - yes, with -er-  that was used
commonly enough in Classical Greek to refer to unmarried women or widows.  An
earlier message said that "andera" was used in Euskera I think to refer to
widows or such as a term of honor.  The "andria" of Terence was an unmarried
Greek woman.  I do not know how one would refer to a woman who was from the
Gallo-Roman regional capital of Anderitum in Southern France, not far from
Greek Messalia, but anderia would certainly be a thought.

Regards,
Steve Long

[ Moderator's reply:
  Classical Greek need not apply:  That -er- marks it as a late formation,
  without relevance for the existence of an earlier "feminine".
  --rma ]