H1 and t??

Miguel Carrasquer Vidal mcv at wxs.nl
Sun Apr 11 06:52:51 UTC 1999

"Glen Gordon" <glengordon01 at hotmail.com> wrote:

>Let me re-illustrate, this time properly, the development of the
>animate t-final stems with a pseudoword **kut (my vowel-final stem
>illustration of **kuti still stands) and this time note the previously
>neglected alternation of *t/*s in my paradigm example :(

>                Pre-Pre-IE    Pre-IE                 IE
>  Nominative    *kut          *kwet-se    *kwets     *kwets
>  Accusative    *kut-im       *kwetm      *kwetm     *kwetm
>  Dative                      *kwet-i:    *kweti:    *kwesi: (*kwesey)
>  Genitive      *kut-isi      *kwetese    *kwete's   *kwese's
>  Ablative      *kut-ita      *kweteta    *kwete'd   *kwese'd

>Does that look right now?

Not if we compare how t-stems are really declined (Beekes, p. 178):

*nepo:t   Skt. napa:t     Lat. nepo:s
*nepotm        napa:tam        nepo:tem
*neptos        naptur          nepo:tis

Or for instance Skt. marut "wind" (m.):

   sg.      du.          pl.
N  marut    maruta:u     marutaH
A  marutam  ,,           ,,
I  maruta:  marudbhya:m  marudbhiH
D  marute:  ,,           marudbhyaH
G  marutaH  maruto:H     maruta:m
L  maruti   ,,           marutsu

etc.

There are really only a few forms in which we see t/s
alternation, such as the ptc.pf.act. in *-wot-/*-us-.

Miguel Carrasquer Vidal
mcv at wxs.nl
Amsterdam