IE *k^won and its origin

Glen Gordon glengordon01 at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 13 16:45:51 UTC 1999

RICK McCALLISTER:
  Why? Why can't it be **pkwVn with /kw/ as a labial velar stop
  and then seeing such forms as **kVwVn- as a product of unpacking?

Not following. Unpacking? IE *k^won- does not and never did have a
labiovelar. The initial *k^w- is a consonant cluster involving TWO
seperate phonemes. Further, the *k^- is curiously palatal. How does a
single phoneme *k<w> irregularly become a complex consonant cluster
*k^w with palatal?? No matter how hard we try, the **pek^uon- myth
doesn't work, both inside and out of IE studies.

The form definitely points to an earlier **kV1wV2n- where V1 is one of
[*a,*e,*i] to account for the palatal velar. This is why I suggest an
earlier form **kawina.

Glen Gordon
glengordon01 at hotmail.com