Plosive-liquid clusters in euskara borrowed from IE?

Nicholas Widdows nicholas.widdows at traceplc.co.uk
Mon Apr 26 14:33:00 UTC 1999

<Roz Frank wrote:>

[snip...] sometimes heard
as <bur(u)ko> and at others as <b(u)ruko>. The speaker is fully aware that
the form is <buruko> but that is not what s/he is actually "saying." In the
case of <andere> it strikes me that the same thing happens with the result
being <and(e)re> or <and(e)r(e)a> when the definite article is attached.

</Roz Frank>

The speaker knows (perhaps only unconsciously) that the phoneme sequence is
/buruko/, even if the phone sequence may be [bruko] or [burko]. But (except
in scribe-influenced languages like English or French) the modern reflex is
always a descendant of actual spoken forms. If historical linguists can
state that Old Basque didn't have plosive + liquid clusters then it's
because such occasional phone clusters were never psychologically elevated
to phoneme clusters, and no change of the co-occurrence rule can be
reconstructed from the historical data.

Although, as you say, there are microdifferences in pronounciation that
distinguish native from non-native on what should be almost identical
sounds, these differences are probably held at a broader phonological level.
For example, in my own speech <train> and <terrain> may differ only in that
speech. Or although I normally say both <dune> and <June> as [dZu:n],
they're not precisely identical, because <dune> feels the influence of its
phonemic form /dju:n/ and can fluctuate in degree of affrication. The
psychological difference is still large.

I would suggest (and I freely admit I have no idea whether this is true, but
I suggest) that to be carried along diachronically a sound reduction of the
kind <and(e)re> or <bur(u)ko> or <t(er)rain> would have to go through a
reinterpretation of its abstract phonemic form. In Old Basque *<andre> broke
a firm rule and would not survive. In modern Basque, does [burko] have the
tap of /buruko/ or the roll of */burko/? In my English initial [tr] can come
from both /tr/ and /t at r/. Once they lose the possibility of reversion to the
old phonology, the vowel can be considered gone.

The non-standard pronunciations can be very divergent. For <I'm going to> I
catch myself saying all sorts of things, [aINg at nt@] and [aNgan@] and
[QNg at n@] and [aNn@], none of which I would want to dignify with a phonemic
form. When they settle down to any one or more forms as stable as <I am> and
<I'm> then they can be entered in my idiolect dictionary.

written form and can then be enunciated without being the actual slurred
forms that gave rise to them. So this is not to deny that saltations like
<chandra> could have occurred; I just suspect that the ordinary lability of
speech is not ordinarily enough to generate them.

Nicholas Widdows