Momentary-Durative

Patrick C. Ryan proto-language at email.msn.com
Thu Jun 10 03:09:50 UTC 1999

[ moderator re-formatted ]

Dear Nath and IEists:

 ----- Original Message -----
From: Vidhyanath Rao <vidynath at math.ohio-state.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, June 08, 1999 8:33 AM

[ moderator snip ]

> I don't know if Leo made this point. If CCV- was the original ``perfective'',
> why is the thematic aorist so hard to reconstruct for PIE?  *(e)videt and
> (e)bhuget and perhaps (e)rudhet but no others. In Indic we can see root
> aorists give rise to thematic ones by thematization (adars'ma gives way to
> adrs'a:ma, drs'ema etc). Rix sees a similar thing happening in Greek.

Lehmann does not consider C'CV per se perfective: he contrasts an aorist
vida{'}t as +perfective, + momentary, and the perfect ve{'}da as
+perfective, -momentary.

You may or may not agree.

But to attempt to address the idea behind your question if I understand it,
the relative rarity of thematic aorists may be substantially attributable to
the fact that there were two other competing aorists (or equivalents): the
root aorists and s-aorists.

Now, let me ask you a question in return.

Would you agree that there was some difference in meaning between the
athematic and thematic aorists? And what might that difference (if any) have
been?

Pat

PATRICK C. RYAN (501) 227-9947; FAX/DATA (501)312-9947 9115 W. 34th St.
Little Rock, AR 72204-4441 USA WEBPAGES:
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/2803 and PROTO-RELIGION:
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/2803/proto-religion/indexR.html "Veit
ek, at ek hekk, vindga meipi, nftr allar nmu, geiri undapr . . . a ~eim
meipi er mangi veit hvers hann af rstum renn." (Havamal 138)