punch not < panc

Jim Rader jrader at m-w.com
Thu Jun 10 09:21:48 UTC 1999

In current Merriam-Webster dictionaries, the Indo-Aryan etymology of
<punch> is prefaced by "perhaps." This amounts to saying that the
etymology is an educated guess, to use Stefan's phrase, not an
unquestioned standard.  Hindi is given as the immediate possible
source, though Gujarati, Marathi, or Bengali should probably be given
more serious consideration.  This, like most of the other Anglo-Indian
etymologies in our dictionaries, needs re-vetting.

Jim Rader