Latin perfects and Fluent Etruscan in 30 days

Tue Jun 22 20:06:11 UTC 1999

[snip]

>I have never found the derivation of -cland- from Latin -planta- wholly
>convincing for several reasons.  Unless the Latin word is itself a
>Q-Celtic or Etruscan loaner, if this is apparently a case of the p/q
>variable distribution, my suspicion is you'd expect to se a q- or a c-
>form in Latin rather than a p-.

	Or it conceivably Latin <planta> may have been a borrowing from
Oscan or Gaulish, etc. used with a marked meaning, in which case any
original *klanta would have disappeared. In Spanish, shoots off a plant
(which used to propagate) are called "hijos" [children], so it might work
in a metaphorical sense.

[snip]

Rick Mc Callister
W-1634