PIE Plosive System

iffr762 at utxvms.cc.utexas.edu iffr762 at utxvms.cc.utexas.edu
Sat Mar 13 01:30:07 UTC 1999

	(I don't much like the term "stop".  Wright's "explosive" conjures
lovely images, but it seems better to drop the "ex-".)

	There are three facts that any posited system must explain:

	1)  The absence of roots of the form /DeD/.
	2)  The absence of roots of the forms /TeDH/ and /DHeT/.
	3)  The absence of/b/.

	In traditional terms, D, T, and DH stand for any instance of
voiced, voiceless, and voiced aspirated plosives respectively.

	So I would like to know how a fortis/lenis system (with these
terms defined in such a way as to be meaningful) does this.

				DLW