borrowing pronouns

maher, johnpeter jpmaher at neiu.edu
Thu Mar 18 14:55:55 UTC 1999

1. No, no, a 1000x no = no argument.
As an argument from authority is no argument.

2. <'usta:dh> ~ "ustaeth" are both transcriptions; I doubt if the net has an
Arabic font.

Spaniards didn't hear the /´/ [glottal stop/ alif, anymore than French and
Italians "hear" /h/, glottal continuant, in English etc.. And English speakers
don't hear the glottal stop onset when they pronounce the names of the letters
A E I O.

3. If <V[uestra Merc]ed> is the source of <Vd.> was there, in the early period
of the usage, gender concord in complement adjectives?

. E.g. "!Vd. está viva! " [I lack Castilian font: please invert first /!/.]

When did the masculine adjectives achieve acceptance, if <Vd.> was
ever =  <vuestra merced>?