andera 'woman' Celtic ?

roslyn frank roslynfrank at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 29 03:05:49 UTC 1999

>From: mcv at wxs.nl (Miguel Carrasquer Vidal)
>Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 15:11:06 GMT

Miguel Carrasquer Vidal said:
[snip]

>There are more possible examples.  Classics are Bq. hartz "bear"
>~ Celtic *artos,

This is a particularly interesting example.

Can anyone give me a synopsis of Karalinuunas' article on "Reflexes of
IE *h2rtko- "bear" in Baltic" (JIES Vol. XX1, num. 3-4)? Just curious.
Are any of the reflexes diminutives?

Also, any other recent bibliography on this specific topic would be most
welcome.  I already have the reference to Paveluescu's "The Name of the
'Great Bear'" (JIES XVI, num 1 & 2), although I haven't read it yet.

Roz Frank
March 28, 1999
e-mail: roz-frank at uiowa.edu