"syllabicity"

Jens Elmegaard Rasmussen jer at cphling.dk
Sun May 16 21:57:36 UTC 1999

On Thu, 13 May 1999 CONNOLLY at latte.memphis.edu wrote:

> Pat replied:

Pardon my gate-crashing, but I was the "someone", and perhaps I should be
clearer: There is no disputing that the PIE thematic verb formed a 3sg
injunctive *bhe'r-e-t and a 2pl injunctive *bhe'r-e-te; if you prefer
imperfects, you may add the augment in any form you think it had in PIE.
The fact will remain that one form is an *-e longer than the other,
everything else being the same. That extra *-e makes a difference all by
itself and so is phonemic, even under an (erroneous) analysis that
accepts only one vowel for PIE.

Jens