"syllabicity"

Patrick C. Ryan proto-language at email.msn.com
Fri May 21 13:56:25 UTC 1999

Dear Rich and IEists:

 ----- Original Message -----
From: Rich Alderson <ALDERSON at netcom.com>
Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 1999 8:11 PM

I agree with most everything you have written here.

> If by "overly 'school'-oriented" you mean that I accept the findings of one
> particular theory of phonology in preference to other competing theories, I
> plead _nolo contendere_.  If you mean rather that I think Lehmann *must* do
> everything as a structuralist because he did most things as one, you
> misunderstand my entire point:  I do not insist that if he did anything as a
> structuralist he must do everything that way; rather, I am simply stating the
> fact that on the evidence of his writings themselves, he *did* do things
> strictly as a structuralist.

But, Leo has persuaded me that Lehmann might not have used the structuralist
terminology in the case of "syllabicity" in a totally consistent manner.

Pat

PATRICK C. RYAN (501) 227-9947; FAX/DATA (501)312-9947 9115 W. 34th St.
Little Rock, AR 72204-4441 USA WEBPAGES:
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/2803 and PROTO-RELIGION:
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/2803/proto-religion/indexR.html "Veit
ek, at ek hekk, vindga meipi, nftr allar nmu, geiri undapr . . . a ~eim
meipi er mangi veit hvers hann af rstum renn." (Havamal 138)