Syllabicity

petegray petegray at btinternet.com
Fri May 28 18:20:04 UTC 1999

I (Peter) mentioned:

Pat said:

> could you explain a bit further?

>From memory, the article in JIES shows that all the family -ter words
have -6ter:

   p-6ter, ma-6ter, dhug-6ter, ien-6ter, g'en-6ter.

Because the last may be from g'en6-ter reanalysed, the possibility of this
word as the analogical source of the suffix was explored, rejected, and
another suggestion put forward - which I don't now remember!   I only
remember that it seemed rather unconvincing.

I don't have immediate access to JIES any more - otherwise a quick troll
through the indices would pick out the article.

Peter