SV: Pre-Greek languages

Lars Martin Fosse lmfosse at online.no
Fri Nov 5 13:59:50 UTC 1999

Eduard Selleslagh [SMTP:edsel at glo.be] skrev 19. oktober 1999 08:52:

> [Ed Selleslagh]

> 3. The presence of Elamite (in Antiquity) and Brahwi (Dravidian) in Iran
> strongly suggests that the Dravidian territory stretched far more westward
> than  at present. It seems - but I have no documentation at hand - that the
> old Indus valley culture is now recognized as having been Dravidian, which
> reinforces the hypothesis.

The presence of Brahui has been shown to be due to a migration of Dravidian
speakers from the South of India (probably mercenaries) a few hundred years
ago. They are therefore not relevant for the discussion of the earliest period.

> Personally, I even suspect that a lot of what you might call 'Sanskrit
> culture' actually owes most of its original content to the conquered
> Dravidians since these already had a well established rich culture (like
> Mohendjo-Daro) when the IE warriors(?) invaded their countries.

> What is the present scholarly opinion on these points?

It would seem that scholarship on this matter is starting a new phase. Prof.
Michael Witzel has recently published a large article on the Internet
(Electronic Journal of Vedic Studies, access through the Indology web site)
dealing with the linguistic substrates of Northwestern India where he denies
any Dravidian presence. The French scholar Bernard Sergent has on the basis of
anthropological evidence also denied a Dravidian presence in the Northwest. In
other words: the Harappans may not have been Dravidians after all, nor for that
matter Indo-Aryans. So we seem to be back where we were: We don't know who the
Harappans were. (Possibly Munda?)

See:

Sergent, B. (1997). Genèse de l'Inde. Paris, Payot.

Hock, H. H. (1996). Pre-Rgvedic Convergence between Indo-Aryan (Sanskrit) and
Dravidian? A Survey of the Issues and Controversies. Ideology and Status of
Sanskrit. Contributions to the History of the Sanskrit Language. J. E. M.
Houben. Leiden - New York - Köln, E. J. Brill: 17-58.

Best regards,
Lars Martin Fosse

Dr. art. Lars Martin Fosse
Haugerudvn. 76, Leil. 114,