The UPenn IE Tree (the stem)

Dr. John E. McLaughlin mclasutt at brigham.net
Sat Sep 11 02:46:10 UTC 1999

Steve Long wrote:

> The "nodes" represent certain specific innovations.  The "non-innovating"
> language that is assumed in the Stammbaum is only
> "non-innovating" as to that
> limited group of innovations.  Otherwise, that language could be quite
> innovative, I suppose.

> I wrote:
> <<The only node on that tree that represents a non-innovating language is
> marked PIE.  And this tree also posits a group of speakers who are always
> non-innovators, node after node.  And because they are not the
> innovators,
> they remain PIE.  Right down to the last node.  Unless of course
> they are the
> last node.>>

> This is a fair read I believe of what the Stammbaum must assume for it to
> make any sense.  The Stammbaum posits a "non-innovating"
> language.  But to be
> fair, again , the description non-innovating only would only apply to the
> small circle of "innovations" covered by the Stammbaum.

Actually, you're still clouding the issue of "innovating" versus
"non-innovating" in order, it seems, to label nodes.  (Assuming, of course,
that I haven't misread your intent.)  Assume a family tree as follows with
lots of nodes and intermediate points clearly labelled.  This should look
quite similar to the UPenn IE tree.  (Stammbaum is a German word and I
personally prefer English constructions that Americans can actually
understand.  We, as scholars, sometimes seem too quick to adopt something
foreign before using our own language resources.  It's like we're trying to
hide something from the masses.)

A'___
|   |
B   C

B'_____
|     |
D     E

Your argument, that the branch represents the innovating group and the trunk
represents the non-innovating, would imply that A, A', B, B' and D were all
the same speech form.  That is not at all what the UPenn tree implies, nor
is it what any tree implies.  There are innovations going on between A and
A', but they don't lead to language diversity because they affect the whole
community.  B and C are then differentiated because C innovates something
and B doesn't.  There are now more innovations between B and B', but they
again don't lead to diversity because they affect the whole community.  Now
D and E are separated because the community in E innovates something that D
doesn't.  Now, are A and D the same language?  Certainly not because there
have been innovations going on between A and A' and between B and B' that
affected the whole community, therefore not leading to increased diversity,
but nonetheless making the parent language A as opaque to D as it is to E or
C.

John E. McLaughlin, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
mclasutt at brigham.net

Program Director
Utah State University On-Line Linguistics
http://english.usu.edu/lingnet

English Department
3200 Old Main Hill
Utah State University